Easy list of dos and don’ts after a car accident in Montrose
Nothing can prepare you to handle the impact of a car accident. Such mishaps often happen on the roads of Montrose and other Colorado cities, and people often have a hard time understanding the aftermath. It’s okay to feel traumatized, but it’s also the right time to take steps to protect your rights. If you can prove that the other driver was negligent, you can ask for a settlement. Consider consulting a Montrose car accident attorney soon after the mishap. Here’s a list of dos and don’ts after an accident that you must follow.
- Stop and call emergency services. Dial 911 immediately if you are injured. If you don’t need urgent attention, check with a doctor later.
- Inform the local police. Always make the first call after a car accident and inform the local law enforcement.
- Take pictures and videos. If you are okay and have a phone, collect photographic evidence from the scene.
- Note key details. You may forget key details later, and therefore, it’s important to note down what you remember.
- Ask for witness details. You will need witnesses (if available) for your case, and therefore, write down their contact details.
- Call an accident lawyer. without much delay, consult an attorney to know if your accident claim is worth the fight.
- Inform your insurance company. While you have three years to file an accident lawsuit, you should inform the insurance company within a reasonable time.
- Don’t run away. The other driver may try to talk you out of calling the police but do not pay attention. Wait for the police team to arrive.
- Don’t give a statement to the insurance company. The claims adjuster would want to use your words against you. don’t give them a chance.
- Don’t admit fault. Even if you believe that you were partly responsible for the accident, don’t admit anything or apologize to anyone.
- Don’t delay taking action. You must take steps to protect evidence and details, and therefore, it’s best to start early.
- Don’t engage in a fight. You may feel angry and agitated, but don’t engage in any confrontation at the accident scene.
Nothing can reverse the damage caused by a car accident, but you can get compensated for your losses, which can help you tide through the tough times. Call an attorney now for a free case assessment.